Wednesday 5 April 2017

Central African Republic 1962 - Butterflies

Accidental finds can produce quite a rush of excitement. This was certainly the case for me when a few weeks ago, I received in the mail a set of Albert Decaris stamps from Central  African Republic. It was a difficult set to find by itself, so I settled for one that included other sets from that particular year. After I removed the Decaris set from the batch, one of the sets included caught my eye. It was a set of four butterfly stamps. Merely for curiosity sake, I had a closer look at these stamps. I was surprised and rather happy to discover the name Gandon at the bottom of each of the stamps. This particular set was printed in Photogravure and all four stamps were designed by Gandon. Regular readers of my blogs will know I collect all the stamps of a particular artist, whether designed, engraved or both. Basically everything to which they contributed. Besides, I think these stamps are rather nice, and to practice a bit of the French I'm learning - J'adore les papillon (I love butterflies).

***

On 18 November 1962 a set of four stamps under the theme of butterflies was issued for use in Central African Republic. The set was designed by Pierre Gandon. Normally I provide some information on each stamp, then feature the actual stamp. Considering this set consists four different species of butterfly, to describe each would make the blog somewhat long. Instead I will make the name of each butterfly a hyperlink to the relevant Wiki page. If you feel inspired to read more about it, simply click on the name and you will be sent straight to the page. That said, let's look at some stamps!



***

.

***



***



Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment